Saturday, September 29, 2007

Using Blogs in My Classroom


These past few weeks I really feel I'm "back" but not as a teacher, but as a student. So many things to read and write. So many things to do for the first time. First, tagging and social bookmarking with delicious, then learning the killer ap with bloglines, and most recently, joining the blogosphere with blogger.
I would like to have a blog to share my teaching experiences - share thoughts and ideas about teaching - what has worked and what hasn't - about things that I've seen in the classroom - dealing with students - explore important teaching and learning issues.
A class blog sounds like a great idea - posting information about events and homework assignments - communicating with parents. For a social studies class, I would think a class blog would be great for gathering and organizing Internet sources - posting photos - encouraging student responses - introducing additional discussion topics. For an ESL class, I like the idea of providing online readings for students to read and react to - create a writing circle for students to contribute to and make comments.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

It's good to be a learner from time to time. I think as teachers we sometimes tend to forget some of the emotions, both good and bad, with being in the position of a learner.

Your ideas for using blogs sound very good.

Dr. Burgos

Amy G said...

Your ideas for using blogs in your classroom are great ideas. I especially like the idea of using it as a place to collect work for research. In history the amount of information that you look at and use is astounding. It would be nice to have a central location that students could access information and post it. Excellent Ideas Ron!
Amy Glass